Zucchini Cornbread


 It's zucchini time!  I love making delicious but healthy food.  Cornbread is one of my favorite things and I'm very pleased with how this turned out.

Ingredients

  •  1
    cup shredded zucchini
  •  1 cup organic sprouted spelt flour
  • ½
    cup
    whole white wheat flour
  •  ¾
    cup organic stone-milled
    yellow cornmeal (I use Bob's Red Mill or a local farm)
  •  ½
    cup coconut sugar
  •  1
    teaspoon
    baking powder
  •  ½
    teaspoon
    baking soda
  •  ¾
    teaspoon
    salt
  •  ½
    cup
    unsalted butter
    (melted and cooled)
  •  2
    eggs
  •  1/3 
    cup
    plain, Greek yogurt (I use FAGE)
  • 1/4
    cup almond milk


DIRECTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside.
  2. Shred zucchini and place in a colander and allow to drain for 30 minutes, then gather it in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out any excess water. Alternatively, I've found great success with shredding my zucchini a day before I want to make anything with it and lining my salad shredder basket with some paper towels. After letting the zucchini drain in the colander, I transfer it to my salad spinner and put the lid on it and store it overnight in the refrigerator.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, yogurt, and almond milk. Gently stir the zucchini into the butter mixture. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to gently fold together until no traces of flour remain. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
  4. Bake until the bread is golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 to 65 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn the loaf out onto a wire rack to cool completely. 
  5. I slice it and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator or for longer storage, divide with wax paper and freeze.



Comments